WHEELING BUILT STEAMBOATS the City Of Wheeling

City of Wheeling

City of Wheeling Steamboat Model by John Bowman

steamboat-city-of-wheeling-copy

City of Wheeling Steamboat at Wheeling’s Wharf September 2, 1900

City of Wheeling
The stern-wheel steam-powered packet City of Wheeling built in 1900 was the 225th and last steamboat completed at Wheeling, West Virginia. The hull, stern-wheel, and superstructure was built in 1899 at the Mozena Boat Yard in Clarington, Ohio for Capt. Thaddeus S. Thomas and Cy Higgs of Wheeling, West Virginia and intended for the short trades out of Wheeling. She was towed to the boat yards at Marietta, Ohio to be fitted with the two steam engines and three boilers salvaged from the steamboat City of Savannah which had been built by the Howard Boat Yards in 1889 and burned in 1898. The boat then steamed to Wheeling August 24th 1900. Its cabins, and carpentry work was finished and the boat furnished at Wheeling.
Her length was one hundred nine feet, three-tenths inches; her width was thirty-four feet, four-tenths inches. Her depth of hull was four feet, eight-tenths inches drawing twenty-eight inches of water. The City of Wheeling ran out of Wheeling into 1903. The Vicksburg and Greenville Packet Company bought her and ran her on the lower Mississippi River for about one year. The City of Wheeling was sold in 1904 to the Lee Line of Memphis, Tennessee and re-registered as the Harry Lee. Harry Lee was running out of that port when she sank at Brandywine Landing, forty-five miles above Memphis in August of 1911. Shortly raised, Harry Lee burned at Memphis March 19, 1914.
This model of the stern-wheel steam-powered packet City of Wheeling was built by John Bowman, and is displayed at the OHIO VALLEY RIVER MUSEUM Clarington, Ohio.

Ohio Valley River Museum John Bowman’s Steamboat Models are Displayed here