BERYL FERRYBOAT and FERRY FLAT
Authentic Scale Model Replica of the Ferryboat Beryl and Ferry flat
Designed and Built 2011 by John Bowman
The gas-powered ferryboat Beryl was built in 1925 at Clarington, Ohio by Cook Bros. & Thomas (Charles Cook, Arthur Cook and Elmer Thomas) Boat Builders for John Marion Jackson of Sardis, Ohio. The boat was 50 feet long by 15 feet wide by 8 feet. The ferry flat was 50 feet long by 14 feet wide by 8 feet. The stern-wheel was chain-driven by a 4 cylinder 20 HP Wisconsin gasoline engine. John Marion named the boat for his daughter Beryl. Daily, John and his wife would visit the construction site anxiously watching the boats progress. Beryl ran ferry service from Sardis, Ohio to Lodi, West Virginia. John’s son, Darrel W. worked on the Sardis ferry throughout much of his young life. In its final years, Beryl was in service from Ferry Street, Clarington, Ohio to Clarington Station, West Virginia. Beryl was well remembered by many Clarington folk who crossed the river on her and boarded the B&O for a day trip to Wheeling.
A popular picture shows Beryl and the ferry flat iced-in at Sardis in 1936. Shown in the picture on the left is Roy “Bones” Lallathin, and on the right is the owner and pilot, John Jackson. The group of seven on the bank was having fun in the snow.
Displayed at the OHIO VALLEY RIVER MUSEUM Clarington, Ohio