WHEELING, WV STREET NAMES; HISTORIC (1815) STREET NAMES & CURRENT (1873) STREET NAMES by John Bowman 2018

Listed are Wheeling’s First Streets and for whom or what they were named.  This fit Wheeling greatly for nearly half a century and then the following happened.  In July of 1873, the City of Wheeling renamed its streets at a great cost to Wheeling businesses.  Some named streets became numbered streets, and numbered streets were now named streets.  The numbering system for buildings and lots was also changed causing much irritation to Wheeling’s residents.  It took nearly ten years to replace the many street signs and building numbers.  What was most confusing, many street corner buildings were left with the old street name on the building, and at the street corner, there was a sign displaying the street’s new name.  The city had required the names of the streets to be properly named and posted on the street’s corner buildings.  Not included are the streets in Wheeling’s neighborhoods.  In 1920, the Greater Wheeling plan was adopted annexing the towns of Edgewood, Elm Grove, Fulton, Leatherwood, Pleasant Valley, Warwood, Woodsdale and all intervening and contiguous territories which increased the city’s population, doubling it to nearly 60,000.

WHEELING’S FIRST STREETS CIRCA 1815

Wheeling Named streets running from West to East beginning at List Street or First Street on Main Street
List Street is now First Street.
Wood Street is now Second Street.
McLure Street is now Third Street.
Bank Street is now Fourth Street.
North Street is now Fifth Street.
Franklin Street is now Sixth Street.
Washington Street is now Seventh Street.
Adams Street is now Eighth Street.
Jefferson Street is now Ninth Street.
Madison Street is now Tenth Street.
Market Alley was and is Stones Alley.
Union Street is now Eleventh Street.
Wheeling Streets running from West to East added and named circa 1830.
Monroe Street is now Twelfth Street.
Hampden Street between Monroe and Quincy Streets ran West to East from Byron (then Fifth) Street to Sixth (now Jacob) Street. 
Quincy Street is now Fourteenth Street.
Center Street is now Fifteenth Street.
John Street is now Sixteenth Street.
Zane Street is now Seventeenth Street.
Clay Street is now Eighteenth Street.
Lindsley (then) Street is now Nineteenth Street.
South Street ran diagonally east from Water Street to Market Street.
Wheeling Streets running from North to South beginning with Water Street were added and named circa 1830.
The waterfront is Water Street Streets from the creek North to South.
In North Wheeling, West Street, West of Main Street ran between McLure and Bank Streets.
In North Wheeling, East Street, East of Main Street ran from above List Street to McLure Street, and making a jog diagonally east, it then continued south to North Street.
In North Wheeling, another Wood Street east of East Street ran from north to south to McLure Street, and this street became Wilbert Street.
In North Wheeling, the National Road ran north-east from Washington Street and Market Street. 
Market Street runs from North Street south to the Creek.
Short Market Street ran from Madison (Tenth) Street south to Union (Eleventh) Street on the west side of the “Upper” Market House.
Fourth Street is now Chapline Street.
Fifth Street is now Eoff Street.
Palo Alto Street now Grandview Street runs from North to South east of Fifth Street between Madison and Union Streets, connecting with St. Charles Street, which ran diagonally south-east.
East of St. Charles Street is High Street.
Byron Street was College Street.
Sixth Street is now Jacob Street.
Seventh Street is now Wood Street.
Wheeling Streets running from West to East South of the Creek were added and named circa 1840.
Webster Street is now Twentieth Street.
Biddle Street is now Twenty-First Street.
Third Street is now Twenty-Second Street.
Second Street is now Twenty-Third Street.
First Street is now Twenty-Fourth Street.
Wheeling streets running from South to North South of the Creek starting at the river were added circa 1840.
Water Street became the B&O RR tracks, and in places is now the Heritage Trail.
Main Street has the same name.
Market Street has the same name.
Wheeling streets running from South to North, South of the Creek were added and named in the late 1840s.
Chapline Street has the same name.
Eoff Street has the same name.
German Street is now Jacob Street.
Alleys from Water Street were A, C, E, and F.

WHEELING’S SYSTEM OF NUMBERING CIRCA 1815
Wheeling’s system of numbering, north of Wheeling Creek started at the creek with number 1.  Streets running from South to North were even numbered on the east side of the street and odd numbered on the west side.  Streets running from West to East beginning at the river were even numbered on the south side of the street and odd numbered on the north side. 
South of Wheeling Creek and starting at the creek, streets running from North to South, start with number 1 at the creek. Streets are even numbered on the east and odd numbered on the west side of the streets and streets running from West to East, are even numbered on the south side of the street and odd numbered on the north side.  Alleys running between the streets north of the creek are numbered 1 through 12 and Alleys south of the creek have the letters of the alphabet. The names of the streets were to be properly named and posted on the street’s corner buildings. Source: Bowen, J.B., The Wheeling Directory and Advertiser, Wheeling 1839 pages 31 and 32.

WHEELING’S STREETS and for whom or what they were named CIRCA 1815
List Street is First Street named for Mr. John List, founder of Wheeling’s first bank, the Northwestern Bank of Virginia.
Wood Street is Second Street named for Mr. Archibald Woods of Wheeling.
McLure Street is Third Street named for Mr. John McLure of Wheeling.
Bank Street is Fourth Street named for the steep bank to the river.
North Street is Fifth Street early on it was the street farthest north.
Franklin Street is Sixth Street named for Benjamin Franklin, one of our founding fathers.
Washington Street is Seventh Street named for President George Washington.
Adams Street is Eighth Street named for President John Adams.
Jefferson Street is Ninth Street named for President Thomas Jefferson.
Madison Street is Tenth Street named for President James Madison.
Market Alley was and is Stones Alley named for Mr. E. James Stone of Stone and Thomas.
Union Street is Eleventh Street. 
Monroe Street is Twelfth Street named for President James Monroe.
Quincy Street is Fourteenth Street named for President John Quincy Adams.
Centre Street is Fifteenth Street.
John Street is Sixteenth Street named for Mr. John Fawcett of Wheeling.
Zane Street is Seventeenth Street named for the Zanes.
Clay Street is Eighteenth Street named for Senator Henry Clay, Wheeling visitor and the main advocate in getting the National Road to Wheeling.
Lindsley (then) to Lindsay Street named for Noah Linsly is Nineteenth Street.  Interestingly, we are told this on page 222, ‘History of the Pan-Handle’: “Previous to 1814, the name had been spelled Lindley and Lindsley, but it was subsequently changed to Linsly, as is still observed by the family, and at the time of Noah Linsley’s death, it was Linsly as shown by his will.”
These numbered streets, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh Streets run from North to South east of Market Street.
Seventh Street is Wood Street.  I would guess this is not to be confused with north Wheeling’s Wood or Second Street.
Sixth Street is Jacob Street named for John Jacob of Jacob and Mitchell of Wheeling.
Byron Street ran between Fifth Street and Sixth Street was named for the poet George Gordon ‘Lord Byron’.
Fifth Street is Eoff Street named for Dr. John Eoff pronounced with a silent E and a long o as in ōaf or lōaf.
Fourth Street is Chapline Street named for Moses Chaplĭne of Wheeling.  The lin part is pronounced with a short i as, Chap lĭn.
Market Street runs south from North Street.
Short Market Street ran from Madison (Tenth) Street south to Union (Eleventh) Street on the west side of the Market House.
The waterfront is Water Street.

CENTRE WHEELING
Centre Wheeling was at first known as South Wheeling, and later in 1851, when Ritchietown and LaGrange was joined to become the town of “South Wheeling”, Centre Wheeling was then designated as being the part of Wheeling from the Creek south to 31st Street.
Streets south of the creek North to South beginning at Wheeling Creek were numbered North to South with the even numbers on the east side and the odd numbers on the west side.
Webster Street was named for Daniel Webster who visited Wheeling in 1837, and it became Twentieth Street.
Biddle Street named for Mr. Samuel Biddle became Twenty-First Street.
Third Street became Twenty-Second Street.
Second Street became Twenty-Third Street.
First Street became Twenty-Fourth Street.
Streets from the river West to East.  On these streets the numbering system began at the river and ran east, with the odd numbers on the north side and the even numbers on the south side.  The Alleys intersect streets, and are named A, C, E, F, and G from west to east.
Water Street for the most part became the B&O RR tracks, which is now the Heritage Trail.
Main Street stayed the same.
Market Street stayed the same.
Chapline Street named for Moses Chapline stayed the same.
Eoff Street named for Dr. John Eoff stayed the same. 
German Street was named for the overwhelming German residents in Centre Wheeling.  It was eventually named Jacob Street for John Jacob of Jacob and Mitchell of Wheeling.

We have learned of the layout of Early Wheeling’s Streets, Businesses, and Dwellings, circa 1815 and 1830, so let us now look at what Wheeling proper ended up with.
In July of 1873, the City of Wheeling renamed its streets at a great cost to Wheeling businesses, (letterheads, notices sent to customers, etc.) and adding to that, it caused much irritation to Wheeling’s residents.  It took nearly 10 years to completely replace the many street signs and building numbers, and with many street corner buildings leaving the street name on their building, and at the street corner a sign displaying the street’s new name, it was confusing. 
The numbering system was also changed.  Previously, the numbers were just a building or lot 1, building or lot 2, etc.  Now, on the streets running North and South, each building or lot will have three numbers, and each square will have 100 numbers.  For example: First or 1st Street would be 101, 103, etc.  Twentieth or 20th Street would be 2001, 2003, etc.  The numbers on the buildings, on streets running from West to East remained the same with the number 1 at Water Street running continuously on east.  
The streets that ran from North to South were numbered with the even numbers on the east side and odd numbers on the west side.  The streets that ran from West to East were now numbered with the odd numbers on the north side, and the even numbers on the south side.  Alleys A, B, C, D, E, F and G are now named Lanes.  B between Water and Main Street, C between Main and Market Street, D between Market and Chapline Street, E between Chapline and Eoff Street and F between Eoff and Jacob Street.  Alleys in North Wheeling are numbered from North to South 1 through 12.
In 1873, formerly numbered streets running from North to South were now named streets beginning at the river with some exceptions: Water Street kept the same name.  Main Street kept the same name, and Market Street kept the same name.

Streets in North Wheeling above the Creek.
Where streets were previously named Fourth, Chapline, Jacob and Third Street, they now became Chapline Street.
Fifth, Eoff, Bolton and part of Fourth Street now all became Eoff Street.
Sixth, German, James and part of Fifth Street became Jacob Street.
Seventh, Lee, George and part of Sixth Street became Wood Street.
Eighth, Fulton, High, and part of Seventh Street became McColloch Street.
West Street in North Wheeling kept the same name.
There is much confusion as to Coal Street, and there was Coal Alley, which ran from Market Alley to Madison Street so named because of a Coal Mine.
East Street in North Wheeling became Coal Street, and then Coal Street for a while kept the same name, and it then became Kenny Street.  Coal Street at Seventh Street became McColloch Street.
Streets and Street names added at a later date.
Ravine Street and Henderson Street in northern most Wheeling ran from West to East.
In North Wheeling, Pike Street between Fourth and Fifth Streets ran from Main Street to the National Road at the top of the hill.
In North Wheeling, another Wood Street east of East Street ran from north to south to McLure Street, and this street became Wilbert Street.

Streets in the Buena Vista Addition.  Buena Vista meaning a ‘Good View’
Palo Alto Street kept the same name.
St. Charles Street kept the same name.
High Street kept the same name. 
Lind Street east off 14th Street which ran around the hill was named for Jenny Lind, and it kept the same name.

East Wheeling Streets
Baltimore Street kept the same name. 
Elizabeth Street kept the same name.
Ellet Street named for Charles Ellet, Jr. builder of our Suspension Bridge kept the same name.
Streets and Street names added at a later date.
East Wheeling Streets are included in this section.
Stone Blvd. was an extension of Chapline Street.
Grandview Street extending to Cityview Street, which is an extension to east 12th Street.
Grandview Manor Street.
Walters Ave, Summit Street, Vine Street, Cherry Street, Isabella Street, and Ellen Street.

Streets in the Manchester Addition.
Warren Street kept the same name.
Wetzel Street and Judy Street kept the same name.
Byron Street named for ‘Lord Byron’ ran from 12th to 14th Street east of Eoff, and at first was named College Street because bible seminaries were listed on this street.
Moyston Street named for Mr. William Moyston kept the same name.
We had Bow Street which followed the north bank of Wheeling Creek.
Rockpoint Road came later, and Tunnel Green Street became a later street.

WHEELING’S STREETS ‘NUMBERED’ And when appropriate for whom or what they were named.  In 1873, beginning at the North end of the city, formerly named streets running from East to West were now numbered streets beginning with: 1st Street.
 We now look at Wheeling’s streets where the streets number is listed first, followed by the streets former name.   We list for whom or what the street was named if known, however in a few cases for whom or what the street’s name is attributed, is unknown to us.
In North Wheeling, Henderson Street runs from Kenny Street East.
1st Street, formerly List Street was named for John List.
2nd Street formerly Wood Street was named for Archibald Woods.
3rd Street formerly McLure Street was named for John McLure.
4th Street formerly Bank Street was named for the steep bank to the river.
Pike Street between Fourth and Fifth Streets runs from the National Road at the top of the hill, east to Main Street.
5th Street formerly North Street was so named because at first it was the street farthest north.
6th Street formerly Franklin Street was named for Benjamin Franklin.
7th Street formerly Washington Street was named for President George Washington.
8th Street formerly Adams Street was named for President John Adams.
9th Street formerly Jefferson Street was named for President Thomas Jefferson.
10th Street formerly Madison Street was named for President James Madison.
11th Street formerly Union Street was so named because it eventually joined the old with the new, and at the east end of Union Street was Spruce Street named for a tree, which was also to become 11th Street.
12th Street formerly Monroe Street named for President James Monroe, and at the east end of Monroe Street was Walnut Street named for a nut tree which also became 12th Street.
13th Street formerly Belmont and Hampden Street, and at the east end Hampden Street was Chestnut Street named for a nut tree, all became 13th Street.
14th Street formerly Quincy Street named for President John Quincy Adams.
15th Street was formerly Centre Street.
16th Street formerly John Street was named for John Fawcett.
17th Street formerly Zane Street was named for the Zanes.
18th Street formerly Clay Street was named for Henry Clay.
19th Street formerly Lindsay Street was named for Noah Lindsay, Linsly.

Streets south of the Creek.
20th Street formerly Webster Street was named for Daniel Webster.
21st Street formerly Biddle Street was named for Samuel Biddle.
In Centre Wheeling these three streets were first numbered from South to North.
22nd Street was formerly Third Street.
23rd Street was formerly Second Street.
24th Street was formerly First Street.

Streets in John Eoff’s Addition.
25th Street was formerly Marshall Street.
26th Street formerly Division Street was named Division because it separated two Additions.
And in this (Eoff’s) Addition, from 26th Street south, many of the named streets that ran from North to South were changed.
Fillmore Street from 26th to 29th Street is now Market Street.
Logan Street between Market and Chapline Street off 26th Street kept the same name.
Jacob Street from 26th to 32nd Street is now Chapline Street.
Bolton Street south from 26th Street is now Eoff Street.
James Street is now Jacob Street named for John Jacob.
George Street is now Wood Street.
Moyston Street from 26th to 27th Street, east of Wood Street stays the same.  Moyston Street was named for William Moyston, an early Wheeling resident
Coal Street in this Addition is now McColloch Street.
Eighth Street in Ritchietown became Wetzel Street named for Lewis Wetzel.

Streets in Caldwell’s First Addition.
27th Street was formerly Preston Street.
28th Street was formerly Taylor Street.
29th Street was formerly Fairmont Pike for the road that led to Fairmont, W. Va.
29th Street Extension became Fairmont Pike ‘Old’, and then Fairmont Ave.
Arthur Street, Pierce Street, and Wilson Street off 29th Street kept the same name.
29th Street where it turned up the hill became Valley Blvd., and off Valley Blvd. is Westview Addition.
30th Street; New, North and Walnut Streets now became 30th Street.

Streets in the La Belle Addition in South Wheeling, Ritchietown.
31st Street was the former Catherine Street.
32nd Street formerly Caldwell Street was named for James Caldwell.
33rd Street was the former Denny Street.
34th Street formerly Hazel Street was named for a nut tree.
35th Street formerly Pine Street was named for a tree.
36th Street formerly Vine Street was obviously named for a Vine.
37th Street formerly Walnut Street was named for a nut tree. 
38th Street formerly Chestnut Street was named for a nut tree.
39th Street formerly Filbert Street was named for a nut tree.
40th Street formerly Locust Street was named for a tree.
41st Street formerly Oak Street was named for a tree.
42nd Street formerly Elm Street was named for a tree.

Streets in LaGrange.
43rd Street formerly Willow Street was named for a tree.
44th Street formerly Sycamore Street was named for a tree.
45th Street formerly Beech Street was named for a tree.
46th Street formerly Elm Street was named for a tree.
47th Street formerly Poplar Street was named for a tree.
48th Street was the former Depot Street.  Street cars ran down to 48th Street to the Ferry landing, and from here they also went up the Incline to Mozart Park.

Wheeling Island Streets.  Wheeling Island was originally known as Zane’s Island, and for a short time it was known as the town of Columbia, this when Daniel Zane became owner and laid out a number of lots and streets.
In 1873, these were the name changes to existing Wheeling Island Streets.  The streets added the prefix North and South reflecting what was north and south of Zane Street  
Streets North to South, north of ‘Zane’ Street;
Elm Street named for a tree is now North Front Street, Front Street fronted the river.
The following street’s names were changed to reflect the importance of Rail Roads.
Pine Street named for a tree became Penn Street.
Locust Street named for a tree became Broadway Street.
Chestnut Street named for a tree became York Street.
Cedar Street named for a tree became Wabash Street.
Walnut Street named for a tree became Huron Street named for Lake Huron.
Buckeye Street named for a tree kept the same name.
Wheeling Island Streets Added at a later date.
Wheeling Park Street
Ontario Street named for Lake Ontario.
Erie Street named for Lake Erie.
Streets North to South, south of ‘Zane’ Street;
Elm Street and part of Zane Street became South Front Street.
Penn Street kept the same name.
Broadway Street kept the same name.
York Street kept the same name.
Huron Street kept the same name.
Wabash Street kept the same name.
Water Street which paralleled the river, kept the same name.
Wheeling Island Streets Added at a later date.
Iowa Street named for the State of Iowa and Erie Street were added later.
Streets East to West from the Island’s north end;
Fifth Street became New Jersey Street named for the State of New Jersey.
Fourth Street became Kentucky Street named for the State of Kentucky.
Third Street became Indiana Street named for the State of Indiana.
Second Street became Maryland Street named for the State of Maryland.
Zane Street named for Daniel Zane kept the same name.
Virginia Street named for the State of Virginia kept the same name.
Ohio Street named for the State of Ohio kept the same name.
Wheeling Island Streets Added at a later date.
Streets north of Zane Street.
North Street was the street farthest north.
Georgia Street named for the State of Georgia.
Cromwell Street named for the Rev. Joseph Cromwell of the Ohio Circuit.
Streets south of Zane Street.
Delaware Street named for the State of Delaware.
Vermont Street named for the State of Vermont.
Orchard Street named for the remaining part of Zane’s Orchard.
Florida Street named for the State of Florida.
Fink Street named for one of the Finks, probably Mike Fink.
Stone Street named for a Mr. Stone whose home stood where there is now South Stone Street / Wheeling Island Gaming.

          Excluded are streets in the neighborhood areas of Bethlehem, Clator, Dimmeydale, Echo Point, Elm Grove, Leatherwood, North Park, Oakmont, Oglebay, Parkview, Pleasant Valley, Pleasanton, Springdale, Stone Church, Warwood, and Woodsdale-Edgwood, all established after 1873.  In 1920, the Greater Wheeling plan was adopted annexing all of these towns, and all intervening and contiguous territories, which increased the city’s population, to nearly 60,000.

Fulton we are told, up to 1836 had but one log hut.  But that year, (1836) the town of Fulton would have its first business, Alexander Armstrong’s ‘Fulton Paper Mill’.  Armstrong named the mill for Robert Fulton of steamboat fame.  Lots were soon laid out by Daniel Steenrod which had little appeal at first.  In 1847, Lewis Baha opened a slaughtering and pork packing house which he had formerly operated at ‘Jonathan’s Gut”.  A second slaughter house was opened by Mr. G.H. Parks, and a third pork packing business was opened by Schenk & Zoeckler.  Fulton’s slaughter houses attracted other businesses such as a ‘Fertilizer’ manufactory for the production of bone dust and ‘Tanneries’ were established by George P. Folmar and Lewis Roth.  An offshoot of the paper mill was the Leatheroid Manufacturing Co., which invented a product known as “Leatheroid”.  see sources:

Sources: Newton, J.H. Editor, Nichols, G.G., Sprankle, A.G. History of the Pan-Handle J.A. Caldwell, Wheeling, W.Va. 1879 Pages 232, 288 “Leatheroid is imitation leather consisting of vulcanized paper.” Page 289, and Bowman, John, Bills of Lading Freight On Board Wheeling W. Va. Wheeling, WV 2012 Page 203

Fulton’s Early Streets.
Berry Street named for Charles Berry runs from the National Road to Wheeling Creek.
Bridge Street runs from the National Road to Wheeling Creek east of Marshall Street.
Center Street runs from Fulton Street to Berry Street.
Congress Street is the old National Road.
Fulton Street runs from the National Road to Wheeling Creek and was named for the town, and Robert Fulton.
Liberty Street runs from Bridge Street to Berry Street.
Marshall Street runs from the National Road to Wheeling Creek, and was named possibly for Mr. Walter Marshall.
Later Fulton Streets named.
Schenk Avenue named for Mr. F. Schenk of Schenk & Zoeckler, Pork Packers.  Roth Street named for Lewis Roth, Roth Tannery.  Fawn Street. 
Streets on the Peninsula named.
Peninsula Street.  Baker Street.  Bow Street.

Wheeling Streets clipping from Wheeling Newspaper July 1873

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.